Monday, July 22

"choose softness instead"




I caught it. The hardening towards anger, the sharp edge of sleeplessness cutting into the morning. Casting blame around like confetti. Tears welling as I poured water in a slow circle over the coffee grounds, a holy ritual to bless the day, even now, even now, coaxing the dark elixir that comforts and revives. I caught sight of that tide as it swelled, seeing it unfurl fully before me: the yelling that would soon come, the desire to hit and hurt, maybe even the hitting of things. The wave of despair and its anguished narration. Can one tired hand, a hand bedazzled with mysterious and painful bug bites acquired in the night, calm that raging tide? What if I choose softness instead? I unwrapped my shoulders from around my ears. Sank into surrender in the armchair, nursing my baby. What if I choose softness instead. Let's find out.


Linking up with Christina Rosalie's Just One Paragraph.

1 comment:

  1. yesterday i chose to let it out.

    i was choosing softness, repressing the sleep-deprived irritability, only to have it volcano. so we shed tears together, hugged together, and rode the tide back in. believing that always there is love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a chat! I read and appreciate every comment.