Thursday, May 24

a simple salad for lunch



Since you are reading this blog, I'll assume that you would be mildly interested, as blog readers often are, in what I had for lunch today. At least, you probably won't mind me telling you. I want to share this recipe with you because it's a good example of the kind of lunch that is quick to put together from ingredients I usually already have on hand,  makes me happy to eat it, and is super good for me.

The inspiration for this dish comes from Angry Chicken, who references a recipe by Nigella Lawson. But I love the combination of shredded carrots, edamame and quinoa so much--the crunch! the color! the way it looks in the blue bowl!--that I've given it different treatments, like this sesame garlic sauce, or a garlicky, lemony French twist. I'm sure it would take well to a whole host of other flavor combos.

For an almost-vegetarian (I never cook meat at the house--I don't know how) who has a toddler to deal with entertain and is heading into the dog days of a Texas summer, this protein-packed, light, salad-y dish is like money in the bank. Try it.

Also--won't you visit my Food board on Pinterest? It's where I stash all my favorite recipes.(Spoiler alert: about 75% of them are from Heidi of 101 Cookbooks. I worship the woman.)


A Simple Salad (adapted from Amy Karol and Nigella Lawson)

I usually have some cooked quinoa on hand to feed the little, and to make these muffins, which are also to feed the little. If you don't have any cooked quinoa on hand, worry not, it cooks really quickly.  The only problem with cooking the quinoa as you're making the salad is that you'll likely be eating a warm salad, and this is a dish better eaten cold. Also, you can take quite a bit of liberty with the quantities here--more quinoa, less carrot, what-have-you.

Shred 3 medium carrots in a bowl. Add about one cup of cooked edamame one cup of cooked quinoa, and half a cup of salted peanuts. Dress with two tablespoons of red wine vinegar, two tablespoons of peanut oil, and one teaspoon of sesame oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dig in.
Eat again for lunch the next two days and feel clever and happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a chat! I read and appreciate every comment.